Pages

Monday 10 December 2012

Grammys Play the Quintessential Art Snobs


When Justin Bieber got a hat-trick at the American Music Awards last month he snubbed his critics by dedicating an award "to the haters."

But the Grammy's 2013 nominee list clearly reads "Haters 1: Beliebers 0”. The Teenage "Baby" singer's manager Scooter Braun not impressed with his boy missing out, was quick to react to the nominations with the tweet "I just plain disagree. The kid deserved it".



I have to agree with him, the kid did deserve a nominee this year, not so much an award. But I am glad he has been kept out, as much as I was shocked he took it all at the American Music Awards.

Let me get this straight I'm no hater nor Belieber, I believe the Kid's got talent. I used to have Favourite girl on my phones list and inspite of peer pressure I got rid of it only when i got bored (read after repeated hearing).

Though I'm convinced his haters are equally responsible for his popularity and making him trend on social media sites as much as beliebers, I don't hold it against him. The teen sensation makes music a particular group loves and another hates, it’s not his fault they chose to be all over the place, keeping him in the news.

But, no, he is just not classy enough to win a Grammy. Simple.

The Grammy is a mature award, popularity and record sales alone cannot grant you one. Grammy's are for the greats, not for sensations. To win a Grammy you must make legendary music, not just hit numbers. Or rather I like to think so.


There are two more artists that got ignored in the list that I'm thankful to the Grammys board for -- Brit boy band One direction, who should rater win "most messy hair" than a Grammy; Nicki Minaj, all that color, squeaky voice and bosom (errr, fake bosom) gives me a headache.

But, yes even the Gods go wrong sometimes and proof of that is Carly Rae Jepsen's irritatingly catchy song Call me Maybe has been nominated for two Grammys -- Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance. 

If Call me Maybe wins a Grammy I bet a few musical angels will fall dead in heaven.

I support music of all genres, irrespective of my taste, as long as it entertains its own fans. But, I still pray Grammy nights stay classy and does not lower its standards even if time are tough and the music industry does.

As for my favorites to win the awards, I will be rooting for:

  1. Record of the year - Thinkin Bout You (Frank Ocean) 
  2. Best pop solo performance - Set Fire To The Rain (Adele)
  3. Best pop duo/group performance - Somebody That I Used To Know (Goyte Featuring Kimbra)
Keeping them fingers crossed.

No comments: